Friday, September 9, 2011
I've Officially Realized I'm A Freak
My new favorite book right now (I think) a textbook of essays. About lots of different things, illustrating how writers use rhetoric to effectively persuade their audience to view the issue at hand from their perspective and be converted to their side. Did you catch all that? It's a book of essays that illustrate good use of your AP Language and Composition class. I told a girl in one of my classes about how funny this one essay was (it was all about how English teachers are changeable--you write "It drove her bananas" and they tell you to revise it and so you end up giving this big long technical explanation of what precisely being "bananas" means, and if you had turned that explanation in the first time, the teacher would have said "Why didn't you just say 'It drove her bananas?'"...no, I guess you don't think it's funny either) and she just looked at me funny without talking for a few seconds, then went back to the math homework. In English we had this project thing where we had to do all these examples and things using literature and this book about what literature means...anyway, I over thought every question and my assignment ended up being, well, I'm not going to say, but it was long. My reward for getting the assignment done? Annotating the two sonnets I used as examples in two of the questions. I have officially reached the weirdo/freak status. I annotated for fun. I'm reading a books of essays for fun. And annotating all those essays as I go...as if I'm going to write a paper about them, which I'm not...and yet I still do it. I have to have highlighter and pen in hand when I read essays and poems and books, what has the world come to? All this coming from the girl who couldn't even understand why it was important to read a little over a decade ago. If you had told me this is what I would be doing for "fun" my senior year of high school when I was in first grade, seventh grade, even my freshman or sophomore or junior year I would've told you to go jump in a lake. But don't worry, I'm still supercool.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment