Thursday, March 10, 2011

Clichés

Don't you love clichés?  I do.  I think they're hilarious and...and...just so...clichédictionary.com says that cliché means "a much used expression that has lost its freshness and descriptive power".  But here's the thing, the rub, if you will, is there anything that isn't cliché?  For example, I trip on flat ground ALL THE TIME, and quite honestly, I'm pretty sure being clumsy is cliché.  I can't even walk without becoming part of the never ending world of clichés.  And then there are those who are in love.  They tell you their beautiful "original" story of how they fell in love with "the one"...and it's a story we've all heard the basic model of before, the names and places are all that are different. (This is only a slight exaggeration). Basically, there's no originality in the world.  We are forever cursed to be the most clichéd age because our ancestors already took all the good stories and ours are merely spin offs.  (But good spin offs, unlike some television shows...)

I had a conversation all about clichés not too long ago.  It ended with me being confused and trying to think of a clever way to sum everything about clichés up, and completely failing.  Our conversation was pretty much what this says--we can't be "original" and break out of the cliché mold, we are stuck in a never-ending cliché spiral that makes all things that are already cliché even more cliché.  To quote a song that says exactly what I'm thinking, "it's all been done, it's all been done, it's all been done before" (It's All Been Done by the Barenaked Ladies) Is this confusing to you?  Me too.  To quote another song, "la la la whatever la la la it doesn't matter" (Tonight Tonight by Hot Chelle Rae).  There is no point to thinking about this, so it's time to go wallow in my nutella-less existence.  Or find some chocolate.  That's so cliché, eating chocolate to comfort myself.  And it's so cliché that I even care.  Oh, well.  Epic fail at not being cliché, utter success at having nutella and cheese on my mind all day...again.

PS If you can use cliché more times in a sentence than I can...you win the title of Cliché Master. 

No comments:

Post a Comment